This engaging webinar will identify the play themes that emerge in the play therapy room with children and teens. The session will discuss the different themes and a child's emotional and development response. The session will discuss ways to use play themes both in play assessment and therapy.
1) Describe the ways children use metaphoric themes and relationships in play therapy and be able to list several common themes seen in children’s play
2) Learn the patterns of themes used for boys and girls in various groups defined by their history
3) Discuss the use of play themes as an assessment technique
4) Explore several therapeutic responses to children's play themes based on their emotional and development stages.
- Please Read to learn about the details of your 2 hour recorded webinar.
- ExploretheMeaningofChildren'sPlayThemes Powerpoint PDF
- Explore the Meaning of Chilldren's Play Themes Video
- Recorded Webinar Description and how to use the Webinar
- After you have finished the watching video and reviewing the powerpoint
Registered Play Therapist Supervisor
About the instructor
Sabra D. Starnes, LICSW, LCSW-C, RPT-S, is a licensed clinical social worker and registered play therapist supervisor. She is the owner of Next Place Therapy in Largo, Maryland. She also works as a School Social Worker for the District of Columbia Public Schools.
Sabra is a passionate and committed therapist and educator, who enjoys working with children, teens, and families. Sabra has been successful in providing effective family therapy to adoptive, foster, divorced and stepfamilies. She has done local and national training for parents and professionals on various topics. Sabra specializes in attachment, building healthy and secure relationships with families, school issues, adoption, and foster care. Sabra is trained and skilled in Play Therapy, Sand tray, and Cognitive Behavior Therapy and Relationship work. She enjoys incorporating expressive therapy techniques, art, music, dance, and psychodrama into the work she does with clients.